Here is some helpful information to help medical students navigate their way to, from and around Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia:
Directions to Hospitals
From Mercy Fitzgerald to Mercy Philadelphia:
- Travel north onto Lansdowne Avenue (0.1 mi)
- Turn right onto Baily Road (1.0 mi)
- Turn left onto Church/US-13 (0.4 mi)
- Turn right onto Baltimore Avenue (1.4 mi)
- Turn left onto South 54th Street (0.3 mi)
From Mercy Philadelphia to Mercy Fitzgerald:
- Travel South on South 54th Street (0.3 mi)
- Turn right onto Baltimore Avenue(1.4 mi)
- Turn left onto South Church Lane (0.4 mi)
- Turn right onto Baily Road(1.0 mi)
- Turn left onto South Lansdowne Avenue (0.1 mi)
Parking is free at both Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia.
Where to Park at Mercy Fitzgerald: During the day, park in the employee parking area across the driveway from Manor Care near Wycombe Avenue, behind St. Bernard’s Hall. At night only, you may only park in the parking area behind the hospital. You must leave this lot no later than 9 a.m. When leaving the parking area, press the intercom button at the gate and inform security you are a medical student who was on call and you need to exit.
Where to Park at Mercy Philadelphia: All colleagues, including medical students, should use the garage at 54th Street & Larchwood Avenue (one block north of Cedar). The garage is connected to the main building via the Atrium. The ground floor of this three-story garage is reserved for Medical Staff Members only. Medical Students are allowed to park in all other spots. Individuals who park in other areas of the garage cannot be supported by our Security staff.
MCMC does not provide housing. Both Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia are approximately 30 minutes from DUCOM and PCOM’s main campuses.
Initial Orientation Session
Information, which will include your orientation time and EMR logon, will be distributed via email approximately two weeks before the start of your rotation.
Identification Badge & Uniform
Medical students must wear both their medical school photo identification as well as a temporary MCMC employee badge. Students will be required to provide a $20 deposit for their Mercy ID Badge which will be refunded in full when the badge is returned at the end of the rotation. Your ID badges must be displayed at all times. Medical school white coat must be worn at all times. Students are expected to dress professionally. All MCMC badges must be returned upon completion of your rotation.
MCMC does not require medical students to carry pagers. All contact is made via cell phone or email.
Main line: 610.237.4000
In-house: dial 7 then 4-digit extension
Main line: 215.748.9000
In house: dial 3 then 4-digit extension
To get an outside line dial 8. To page, dial 61 from any in-house phone then follow instructions.
Mercy Fitzgerald: The Security department has a command center located on Lobby Level of the Medical Science Building. The center monitors the premises 24 hours a day and can be contacted by calling 7-4444. A security supervisor is available 24 hours a day and can be reached by calling the command center.
Mercy Philadelphia: Security department has a command center located in the Emergency Room. The center monitors the premises 24 hours a day and can be contacted by calling 3-9658.
Mercy Fitzgerald:The cafeteria is located on the first floor of the Main building. Hours are:
- Breakfast: 7 to 10 a.m.
- Lunch: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Dinner: 3:30 to 7 p.m. (closes at 6:30 p.m. on weekends)
Mercy Philadelphia:The cafeteria is located on the first floor of the Main building. Hours are:
- Breakfast: 6:45 to 10 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Dinner: 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Vending machines are available 24 hours a day at both facilities.
Both campuses are home to full-service medical libraries. Computers are available in the libraries.
- Location: Medical Science Building, Lobby Level
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- After Hours Access: Medical staff, residents, interns, and medical students may access the library for research and study by using their Mercy ID badge in a "swipe-card" access system.
- Location: 2 Main, Room 234
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- After Hours Access: Access to the library during closed hours is permitted for patient care and/or educational needs of the medical staff, residents, interns and medical students, through Security.
Call Rooms & Lockers
Mercy Fitzgerald: The call rooms are located on the 9th floor of the main hospital, and can be reached by taking the center elevators. Be sure to write your name on the form outside of a vacant room the morning of call to ensure no one else is using the room.
Mercy Philadelphia: The call rooms are located on the 7th floor and, by elevator, are only accessible by using the elevator in the west wing. Turn right after exiting the elevator and proceed through the two sets of double doors down to the last door on the left.
Lockers are available and located in both Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia call room areas. Locks are not provided.