How to Apply
All MCMC Residency Program applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Applications received by fax, email or mail will not be accepted. All positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
Diagnostic Radiology* (Preliminary)
General Surgery (Categorical)
General Surgery (Preliminary)
Internal Medicine (Categorical/Preliminary)
Transitional Year NRMP Number
* Please note that our program is categorical. Candidates who match with our Radiology Program will automatically match with a position in our Transitional Year Program. It is not necessary to schedule separate interviews with each program unless you plan on ranking the Transitional Program as a stand-alone year.
Application Requirements (All Programs)
- Completed ERAS application form
- Curriculum vitae
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- All residency candidates must fulfill Mercy Catholic Medical Center Employment Requirements.
Diagnostic Radiology/General Surgery Programs: MCMC sponsors J1 Visas through ECFMG for applicants who are eligible for appointment to a residency position. H1B Visas are sponsored for select applicants.
Internal Medicine/Transitional Year Programs: Applicants must possess United States Citizenship or a Green Card. No VISAs are sponsored in this program.
International Medical Graduates
International medical graduates must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Information about certification and Visa sponsorship is available from: ECFMG 3624 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA.
Residents enrolled in Mercy Catholic Medical Center programs must be licensed by the Pennsylvania State Board of Medicine (or State Board of Osteopathic Medicine for Transitional Year Program). MCMC’s Graduate Medical Education Department will assist matched candidates in the licensure process.
Mercy Catholic Medical Center does not use a simple “cut” mechanism for deciding whom to interview. Rather, each application is reviewed individually, based on a combination of academic performance, USMLE scores, letters of recommendation, clinical/research experience, etc.
Interview invitations will be extended by e-mail to qualified applicants. Interviews begin in late-October and continue through early January.
Additional Program Requirements
Transitional Year Program
- Pending or recent graduation from a U.S. Allopathic or Osteopathic Medical School
- Successful completion of both Steps I, II & II CS-USMLE or COMLEX 1, 2-CE, & 2-PE
General Surgery Residency
- Successful completion on first attempts of both Steps I, II & II CS-USMLE or COMLEX
- Clinical Experience (continuous clinical experience since medical school graduation; observerships/externships are not considered clinical experience). If you have completed an internship, please indicate in experience.
Diagnostic Radiology Residency
- USMLE scores Steps I, II CK and/or COMLEX Steps 1, 2 CE
Internal Medicine Residency
- USMLE scores > 210 or COMLEX > 400