Residency at Mercy Catholic Medical Center (MCMC) comes with comprehensive educational and employee benefits.
Highlights of employee benefits include the following programs. Benefits start on day one of training and have no waiting period. Residents are provided benefits that begin on July 1st, and are given a full 30 days to review and choose benefits that are appropriate.
- Health benefits in either a PPO or HMO plan
- Dental benefits
- Vacation, sick, excused absence: PGY I interns have 15 compensated working days per contract year, which include vacation, personal time off, continuing education and sick days. PGY-II and above level residents have 20 working days per contract year.
- Leave of Absence: Medical, Family (FMLA): Eligible residents may take a total of up to 12 weeks of FMLA per rolling 12-month period.
- Disability coverage: Supplemental short- and long-term disability coverage is available.
- Malpractice insurance at no expense to residents in a form and in amounts not less than those required by the Pennsylvania Health Services Care Malpractice Act.
- A private, single room quarters and meal allowance while on call
- Free parking at both campuses
- Carebridge Work-Life & Employee Assistant Program (EAP) Counselors and publications can help with child care, eldercare, college planning, relocation, adoption, personal financial management, family or relationship counseling, depression or anxiety, grief and loss, time management and stress management. Services are available to benefited employees at no cost.
Residents also are provided an educational allowance consistent with their PGY level and program. Residents who participate in scholarly activity can request additional funding for the cost of expenses for conferences, posters or publications among other expenses.
On the educational side, residents benefit from exposure to a large, diverse patient population with a wide spectrum of disease states and clinical-social scenarios in both inpatient and outpatient settings through Mercy Catholic Medical Center’s two campuses.
- MCMC is equipped with modern educational facilities that include:
State-of-the-art computer learning centers with T1 Internet access and application programs for clinical diagnosis, problem solving, and other artificial intelligence applications.
- Fully-staffed medical libraries at MCMC as well as full access to the Drexel Online Library through our affiliation with Drexel University School of Medicine
- Auditoriums/multiple classrooms equipped for teleconferencing and LCD projection
- A teleconferencing system that connects the two hospitals
Picture Archive and Communication System (PACS) that offers the latest in imaging archival technology
- These facilities combined with a friendly and supportive working environment produce a high-quality training experience that is reflected in our current three-year American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Certifying Examination passage rate of 94%.
Mercy Fitzgerald and Mercy Philadelphia also use electronic medical records on which residents receive both online and classroom training.
MCMC residents receive their initial Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) /Basic Life Support (BLS) certification prior to their start of training. Residents are again provided their ACLS/BLS recertification once their initial certification expires.
This benefit summary is intended for informational purposes only. An employee contribution is required for some benefits such as health, dental and disability coverage. Contents are subject to change. Details of any benefit can be discussed with a Human Resources representative.