Our History

Community Health Nurse

Visiting nurse from Community Nursing
Service of Delaware County in 1969.

Mercy Home Health roots can be traced back to 1910. More than a century ago, two Visiting Nurse Associations worked to serve the poor and disadvantaged in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. For nearly 50 years, the VNAs of Delaware County provided care and education to patients in their homes as individual organizations. In the 1960s, the Medicare Home Care Program prompted hospitals to form their own home care departments and most hospitals contracted local VNAs for these services.

In 1988, five hospitals including Chester Crozer, Riddle Memorial, Taylor and Mercy Fitzgerald came together to acquire and merge the two VNAs that were serving Delaware County. This new organization was called Liberty Home Health.

In 1994, we became Mercy Home Health under the sole ownership of Mercy Health System. Over the next 10 years, Mercy Home Health nearly doubled in size and the organization now has five branches across the greater Philadelphia area.

Mercy Home Health is a licensed, non-profit organization that is Medicare certified and accredited by The Joint Commission, and is now a member of Trinity Health Mid-Atlantic, which includes Mercy Fitzgerald, Mercy Philadelphia and Nazareth Hospital, St. Mary Medical Center and Saint Francis Healthcare.

Community nurse in 1963
A visiting nurse from Community Nursing Service in 1963.

Click image to view larger.

Community nurses
Nurses from Community Nursing Service of Delaware County in 1956.

Click image to view larger.

Community nurse
A visiting nurse from Community Nursing Service in 1913.

Click image to view larger.