A valve that is not functioning properly usually causes a noise called a murmur.
Some heart murmurs may be linked to cardiac valve disease. However, not all heart murmurs mean valve disease.
Learn more about the different types of heart murmurs:
It is important to keep in mind the following key points to discuss with your physician if you have a heart murmur:
- Careful evaluation of type and mechanism of the valve problem is needed to predict its course
- Medications to improve heart function and slow progression
- Antibiotic protection for dental and other medical procedures
- Careful yearly (at least) follow-up with a cardiologist or the Mercy Cardiac Valve Center
- Only severe valve disease needs valve operation