Recipe: Healthy Chicken a la King with Zucchini Noodles
1 cup nonfat milk
1 onion, top sliced off and set aside, remainder diced
1 tsp. whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
Olive oil cooking spray
½ cup frozen peas, thawed
¼ cup diced red bell pepper (about ½ red bell pepper)
1 cup chicken bone broth or low-sodium chicken stock
1 cooked chicken breast, diced (about 3.5 oz.)
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. cornstarch plus 2 tbsp. cold water
1 9-oz. package of zucchini spirals
- In a medium-sized pot, bring milk, onion top, peppercorns, and bay leaf to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 20 minutes. Remove onion top, peppercorns, and bay leaf.
- Put another medium-sized pot (or the same pot, cleaned) over medium-high heat for one or two minutes, then remove. Spray with olive oil and return to medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until cooked through, about two to three minutes. Add peas and red peppers, sauté for another minute. Then pour in flavored milk, bone broth, chicken breast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- After all ingredients are warmed through and sauce begins to slightly bubble, whisk together cornstarch and water, then add cornstarch mixture to sauce. Whisk until nice and thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil, add zucchini spirals, and boil for one minute, then immediately drain.
- To serve, place ¾ of a cup of zucchini spirals in a bowl, then top with ½ cup of chicken mixture.
Serves six; serving size is ¾ cup of zucchini spirals and ½ cup of chicken mixture. Each serving provides: 112 calories, 3 g total fat (0.6 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 16 g total carbohydrate, 2 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugars, 7 g protein.