Recipe: Grilled Lemon-Sage Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each)
6 lemon slices, cut in half (optional)
Fresh sage leaves (optional)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh sage leaves
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried, crushed
2 or 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. black peppercorns, cracked
½ tsp. salt
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the marinade ingredients.
- Discard all the visible fat from the chicken. Put the chicken with the smooth side up between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a tortilla press, the smooth side of a meat mallet, or a rolling pin, lightly flatten the chicken to a thickness of ¼ inch, being careful not to tear the meat. Add to the marinade. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to eight hours, turning occasionally. Discard the marinade.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high.
- Grill the chicken for six to seven minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center.
- To serve, garnish with the lemon slices and sage leaves.
Makes six servings. Each serving provides: 125 calories, 2 g total fat (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 65 mg cholesterol,250 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 26 g protein.