6 healthy tips for weight loss success
When it comes to losing weight, trends come and go.
This can make it difficult to choose the most effective weight loss plan. Adding to the confusion: A study published earlier this year in JAMA found that both low-carb and low-fat dieters lost about the same amount of weight over 12 months.
The takeaway? No one diet is “the best” for everyone. If you’re looking to shed pounds, however, give these healthy eating tips a try.
- Talk with your doctor. Your physician may suggest lifestyle changes to help you lose weight. Bring up your goals at your next appointment.
- Keep a food diary. Tracking your food intake over the course of several days will give you insight into your eating habits. Make a note of what you ate, how much you ate, how hungry you were, and your mood when you ate.;
- Tune into your hunger. We often eat in response to cues (say, doughnuts at a meeting) rather than out of physical hunger. If you’re not hungry, do something else—like take a short walk—to distract yourself until the urge to eat passes.
- Get more greens—and reds, yellows and blues. Simply adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet can help reduce your overall caloric intake and help you shed pounds.
- Cook creatively. Instead of using butter or cream, prepare vegetables in a nonstick pan or try grilling or steaming them. These methods don’t add any calories. And if you have a favorite dish, look for ways to cut the calories by swapping in a lighter version of an ingredient, like low-fat cheese.
- Slow down. Simply decreasing the pace of your eating can help you lose weight. Sit down, put your fork down between bites, and savor your food.