One fall for a senior can mean loss of independence.
Winter conditions can raise your risk of a serious tumble. But before you give up and sit down, remember that a little precaution can go a long way:
- Make sure outdoor railings are securely fastened.
- Railings should be installed on both sides of steps.
- Use your cane, walker or brace for every trip outdoors.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes.
- Store salt or sand inside the house, not outside, for use on icy walkways.
- Make sure outdoor walkways and doorways are well lit.
- Leave a walkway light on so you can see when you return home in the evening.
- Have uneven walkways or stairs repaired.
Mercy Home Health has programs that help keep you safe from falls both inside and outside the house. We provide fall risk assessments and physical therapy to restore good balance. Call 1.888.690.2551 to learn more.