The faculty at Mercy Catholic Medical Center (MCMC) encourages surgery residents to actively engage in research. Residents can spend a period of time involved in clinical or laboratory research at MCMC or another institution. Residents are also required to complete a one-month research rotation during their PGY-3 (Post Graduate Year) year.
Wallen TJ, Arnaoutakis GJ, Blenden R, Soto R. Programmatic Changes to Reduce Mortality and Morbidity in Humanitarian Congenital Cardiac Surgery. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2018 Jan;9(1):47-53.
DeStefano LM, J Janani, A Salim, C Capicotto, K Leal, A Deb, S Wagner, DJ Valentino. “Delay in Central Access During Cardiopulmonary Arrest Impacts Survival: A Single Institution Review.” Presented at the Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Meeting. San Antonio, Texas. February 2018.
Wallen TJ, Bavaria JE, Vallabhajosyula P. Hybrid arch surgery challenges other forms of arch treatment. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2018 Apr 24.
DeStefano LM, AN Salim, P Chhikara, A Giacobbo, J Calestine, S Wagner, KJ Kish. “Specialist Follow-up May Improve Outcomes for BIRADS3 Patients: A Single Institution’s Experience.” Presented at the American Society of Breast Surgeons Annual Meeting. Orlando, Florida. May 2018.
Yoon-Flannery K, LM DeStefano, LM DeLaCruz, CS Fisher, LY Lin, LS Coffua, RE Mustafa, DM Sataloff, JC Tchou, ADBrooks. “Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being after Nipple Sparing Mastectomy: A Matched Comparison of Patients Using the Breast Q.” Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2018 Jul;118(1):238-242.
Nevitt RT III, Fobia JB. “A Case of Complicated Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI) Treated with Diverting Loop Ileostomy, Colonic Lavage, and adjuvant Fecal Transplantation. ACS Case Reviews in Surgery. 2018;2(1):30-34
Wallen T, Fults M, Blenden R, Seepersaud M, Vesel T, et al. (2018) Surgical Outcomes After Two Years of Establishing a Congenital Heart Disease Program in a Resource Limited Country Using a “Single Charity Center” Approach J Cardiovas Disea Medic 1:1 (24-28).
Francesco, R, LM DeStefano, G Xia, MD, PhD, G Madison, L Clarke. “Madura Foot: An Interesting Case of Mycetoma Reoccurring Fifteen Years After Surgical Excision”. ACS Case Reviews in Surgery. 2018;2(1):22-25
Brendel, K, LM DeStefano, R Ranganath, JB Fobia. “Gallbladder Volvulus: A Rare Entity.” ACS Case Reviews in Surgery. 2018;1(6):40-42.
Nevitt, R.T; DeStefano, L.M; Fults, M; Fobia, J.B. Excision with Split Thickness Skin Graft and Negative Pressure Wound Therapy for the Treatment of Hidradenitis: A Potential Cure? Abstract Published in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons (JACS) 2017; 225 (4): S82-83
Sultan I, Wallen T, Habertheuer A, Siki M, Arnaoutakis G, Bavaria J, Szeto W, Milewski R, Vallabhajosyula P. (2017, January) Concomitant Antegrade Stent Grafting of the Descending Thoracic Aorta During Transverse Hemiarch Reconstruction for Acute DeBakey I Aortic Dissection Repair Improves Aortic Remodeling. Oral Presentation, presented at: The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Annual Meeting; Houston, TX.
Grunberg W, Tzarnas C. Four different pathologic Marjolin’s ulcer malignancies in the same burn scar. European Journal of Plastic Surgery (ISSN 1435-0130). Published online: 07 August 2012.
- Gundlapalli VS, Ramirez C. Polycystic kidneys occupying entire abdominal cavity. International Journal of Case Reports and Images (IJCRI) (ISSN 0976-3198). Vol. No. 2012, IJCRI_069_CI_032012.
- Grunberg W, Weiss, S. Candida albicans implantable cardioverter-defibrillator lead endocarditis with giant vegetation. Surgical Infections (sur-2011-027), May 2012.
- Gundlapalli VS, Domingo OH. Recurrent Evisceration from a Mcburney’s incision. International Journal of Case Reports and Images (ISSN 0976-3198). Manuscript ID: IJCRI_176_CI_102011. Vol. 3 No. 6, June 2012.
- Gundlapalli VS, Baskara, A, Bhar S, Domingo OH. Small bowel obstruction caused by rare combination of Chilaiditi and Fitz-Hugh Curtis syndrome - a case report. Accepted for publication. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports (ISSN 2210-2612). Manuscript IJSCASEREPORTS --D--11--00211R1. 3/2012.
- Gundlapalli VS, Shah MM, Baskara A, Fobia JB. Atypical appendicitis: schistosomal infection causing perforated appendicitis. Internet Journal of Surgery (ISSN: 1528-8242) 2012: Volume 28, Issue 2.
- Grunberg W, Baumholtz M. Management of complex facial deformity with computer assisted virtual surgery. Presented at the Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons, March 9-10, 2012, Philadelphia, PA.
- Baskara A, Saunders SL, Balraj P, Ramachandra P, O’Connell BG. Metastatic sigmoid diverticulitis in the era of advanced imaging and health care – a case report. Presented at 2012 SAGES Postgraduate Course and Scientific Session, Los Angeles, CA, March 7-10, 2012.
- Baskara A, Saunders SL, Ramachandra P, O’Connell BG. Laparoscopic bariatric procedures in community teaching hospital – how far are we into teaching surgical residents? Presented at 2012 SAGES Postgraduate Course and Scientific Session, Los Angeles, CA, March 7-10, 2012.
- Grunberg W, Baumholtz M. Management of complex facial deformity with computer assisted virtual surgery. Presented at the 2012 Challenges in Fracture Care Across Disciplines Conference, February 23-25, 2012, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- 11. Grunberg WI, Domingo OH. Parathyroid cyst. American Surgeon (ISSN 0003-1348) 2011 Nov;77(11):E256-7.
- Grunberg W, Ashraf A, Diego E, Mascaro A, Noone RB, Tzarnas C. Extended long-term (15-29 year) outcomes of TRAM flap breast reconstruction: do they age well? Poster of exceptional merit. Abstract presented at the ACS Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, October 24-26, 2011.
- Balraj, P, Moudgil N, Eisenberg J, Dougherty MJ, Rao A, Calligaro KD. Preliminary results of PTFE-covered nitinal stents crossing the inguinal ligament to treat arterial bleeding and stenosis. Presented at the Eastern Vascular Society 25th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, September 22-24, 2011.
- Gumbs A, Rodriguez A, Hoffman J. Minimally invasive pancreatic surgery of the entire gland: initial experience. Minerva Chirurgica. 2011 August; 66(4):269-80.
- Rodriguez A, Gumbs A. Laparoscopic left hepatectomy for liver metastases at a national cancer center. Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques. Video Technical Report 1/27/11. Volume 21(4): 353-54, LAP-2010-0321-ver9-Rodriguez_1P.3D.
- Gumbs A, Rodriguez-Rivera A, Matteotti R, Hoffman JP. Cancer of the hepato-biliary system, gallbladder and extrahepatic ducts. Minimally Invasive Surgical Oncology – State of the Art Cancer Management, 1st Edition, Part 6, 297-308 (2011).
- Gumbs AA, Rodriguez Rivera AM, Milone L, Hoffman JP. Laparoscopic pancreatoduoden-ectomy: A review of 285 published cases. Annals of Surgical Oncology, published online. Volume 18(5):1335-41, January 2011.
- Baskara A, Sapanara N, Medvetz L. Giant neurocristic hamartoma of scalp: a case report. 2010 E-Med, Grand Rounds Vol. 10, 91-94, DOI: 10.1102/1470-5206.2010.0021.
- Baskara A, Balraj P, Mascaro A, Ramachandra P. An unusual presentation of sigmoid diverticular disease. (poster presentation) Pennsylvania Medical Society Regional Meeting, October 23, 2010, Hershey, PA.
- Baskara A, Weber T, Domingo O. Giant aneurismal dilation of a brachiocephalic arterio-venous fistula for hemodialysis access – A case report. Internet Journal of Surgery (ISSN 1528-8242) 2010: Volume 24, Number 2.
- Baskara A, Sikka L, Khan F, Sapanara N. Development of a Marjolin’s ulcer within 9 months in a plantar pressure ulcer – A case report. European Journal of Dermatology, Volume 20, Number 2, p. 225, March-April 2010, DOI: 10.1684/ejd.2010.0850.
- Baskara A, Ahmed R, Domingo O, Ahmadi A, Raezer D. Surgical management of inferior vena cava strut penetration causing hydronephrosis – Case report. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Journal, August 2010 44:491-493, DOI: 10.117/1538574410375311.
- Marks JH, Valsdottir E.B., Rather AA, Nweze IC, Newman DA, Chermick MR. Fewer than 12 lymph nodes can be expected in a surgical specimen after high-dose chemoradiation therapy for rectal cancer. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, 2010 Jul; 53(7): 1023-9.
- Balraj P, Ramachandra P, Medvetz L. Emphysematous gastritis associated with severe vascular disease. The Internet Journal of Surgery (ISSN 1528-8242), 2010: Volume 22, Number 2.
- Rather AA, Rodriguez AM, Koenig G, Tzarnas CD, Domingo OH. Ammonia enema induced recto-colonic necrosis, a case report. The Internet Journal of Surgery (ISSN 1528-8242) 2010: Volume 23, Number 2, full article – case report.
- Rodriguez-Rivera AM, Sandberg LJ, Ahmadinejad AS, Tzarnas CD, Thuahnai S. Management of the persistent sciatic artery with coexistent aortoiliac aneurysms; endovascular and open techniques. The Internet Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (ISSN: 1524-0274) 2010: Volume 14, Number 2.
- Rodriguez-Rivera AM, Clarke LE. Cholecystocolonic fistula as a complication of cholelithiasis: A rare case. Internet Journal of Surgery (ISSN 1528-8242); 2010 Volume 22, Number 1.
- Goodwin MC, Hughes JH, Diego M, Frazier TG. Impact of oncoType Dx™ recurrence score and tumor size on making chemotherapy decisions in breast cancer patients. (poster presentation) 32nd Annual San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, TX, December 9-13, 2009.
- Rather AA, Huma Z, Baskara A, Castillo O, Clarke LE, Ramachandra P. Laparoscopic assisted colon surgery (LACS) by general surgeons – have we overcome the steeping learning curve? (poster presentation) American College of Surgeons 95th Annual Clinical Congress, Chicago, IL, October 11-15, 2009.
- Lavu H, Mascaro AA, Grenda DR, Sauter PK, Leiby BE, Croker SP, Witkiewicz A, Berger AC, Rosato EL, Kennedy EP, Yeo CJ. Margin positive pancreaticoduodenectomy is superior to palliative bypass in locally advanced pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 13(11):1937-1947, November 2009.
- Lavu H, Kennedy EP, Mascaro AA, Grenda D, Sauter PK, Yeo CJ. Management of rarely encountered congenital anatomic abnormalities in hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery. (poster presentation). Digestive Diseases Week 2009, 5/30-6/4, Chicago, IL.
- 32. Sandberg JL, Bailey PM, Tzarnas CD. Short hospital stay TRAM flap post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. (poster presentation) American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, Chicago, IL, October 31-November 5, 2008.
- Sandberg JL, Azharian A, Tzarnas CD. Fidelity of skin perfusion assessment by digital blanche and refill evaluation. (poster presentation) American College of Surgeons 94th Annual Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, October 12-16, 2008.
- Grunberg W, Khan FA. Angiosarcoma of the scalp. Abstract presented at Pennsylvania Medical Society, Annual Regional Meeting, Hershey, PA, October 2008.
- Diego E, Koenig G, Tzarnas CD, Rodriguez A, Popii V. Improvement of glycemic control in the surgical patient: pre- and post- protocol implementation. (poster presentation) American College of Surgeons’ 94th Annual Clinical Congress, San Francisco, CA, October 12-16, 2008.
- Kakkilaya H, Tzarnas CD, Sandberg J. A survey assessment of residents’ and nurses’ knowledge of medical abbreviations. (poster presentation) American College of Surgeons’ 93th Annual Clinical Congress, New Orleans, LA, October 7-11, 2007.
- Sandberg, JL, Tzarnas CD, Jones JM, Jacobs DE, Kanoff RB. Treatment of a Moh’s scalping defect in a nonagenarian using an updated antique technique. (poster presentation) American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Scientific Conference, Baltimore, MD, October 26-31, 2007.